Environmental Awards Dinner 2014
On Friday May 9, 2014 Keep Pearland Beautiful hosted the annual Environmental Awards Dinner, the culminating event of the Great American Cleanup, a 3-month environmental celebration in the City of Pearland and our effort to make every day Earth Day.
Over 150 participants came to celebrate and honor members of our community who began a green and sustainable movement in the City of Pearland and who continue to help KPB fulfill its vision to make Pearland the cleanest, most beautiful city in Texas.
- Rookie of the Year: Cassie Mitchel
- Nick Santoro Re-Use Award: Forgotten Angels
- Joanne Burch Educator of the Year Award: Betty Bouley
- Business of the Year: Mercer Insurance Agency
- Green Lifestyle Award: Courtney Melo
- Beautification Award: Green Tee Terrace
- Public Awareness Award: Paul Beckman
- Volunteers of the Year: Sonali Mansukhani and Eleanor Clark
- Weldon Flanakin Recycler of the Year: The City of Pearland
- Inaugural Lifetime Membership Award: Dorman Davidson
KIPPERS (Kids in Pearland Preserving the Environment through Responsible Service) sponsors from local Pearland middle schools, along with their young environmentalist’s, were recognized for their continued efforts to promote recycling throughout the school year.
- Rogers Middle School: Elizabeth Moser and Simon Alexander
- Sablatura Middle School: Katelyn Raffler and Cadence Romero
- Alexander Middle School: Evhon Pace and Lucas Syndar
- Jamison Middle School: William Venable III and Grant Ashcraft
The evening culminated with the presentation of the Stella Roberts Golden Pear Award, given to Joanne Knodel, immediate past president of KPB, for her lasting contributions to improving the environment. Ms. Knodel is also a Master Gardener and is helping KPB plan a rain garden at the Nature Trails at the John Hargrove Environmental Complex.
Sponsors for the event included Shadow Creek Ranch, H-E-B Plus! and HEB Store in Pearland, A&A Cleaning Services, and Casa Ole.