The 2017 Runway Fashion Show will be held on Earth Day, April 22, 2017. The show will be similar to the 2016 show. Email [email protected] to get more information about this year’s show and get started on designing your garment.
Introducing the second Keep Pearland Beautiful Runway Fashion Show Program, a project that promotes resource conservation through the creation of fashion from what otherwise would be waste. Runway Show will be held at the Pearland Earth Day Celebration April 23, 2016, 11AM-12PM at the Pearland Recreation Center (4141 Bailey Rd, Pearland, TX 77584).
Designers entering the competition will create wearable art made of items destined for the landfill or recycling. Participants will become knowledgeable about problems associated with waste generation and then express them through fashion and artistic design. The garment does not have to be completed until the photo shoot on April 16, 2016 and the designer does not have to be the model.
Orientation and workshop will be held March 9th, 2016 at 5:30 PM at Stella Roberts Recycling Center, 5800 Magnolia, Pearland 77584. All ages are encouraged to participate! Late registration will continue until March 11, 2016.
Below you will find program rules, judging criteria, prize categories, photo shoot, and runway information.
- Fashion must be made from at least 75% recyclable or reused materials that would otherwise be thrown away or recycled. These fashions can include plastic bags and wrappers, card-board, steel/tin, recycled fabric or clothing, aluminum, plastics, paper cartons, chipboard, newspaper, mixed papers (magazines, junk mail, and catalogs), paper bags, and glass. Vintage or used clothing will not be accepted unless it has been significantly repurposed and redesigned into something substantially “new.”
- Contest pieces must be durable enough for wear throughout the Fashion Show, and optional photo shoot.
- Entries may include 1 to 5 people on their trash design team. Each entry must provide its own model. The model does not have to be part of the design team.
- Provide an “environmental factoid” that connects with your fashion to read on stage (i.e., Lyana’s dress is made of 124 sheets of paper. In the U.S., we throw away 4.7 million tons of office paper each year.)
All Designers and models will be asked to be at the Recycle Center to get ready and attend the Judges Q&A portion. Photoshoot will be held on the same day, if you are needing time for hair and makeup beforehand please let Lenora Tollefson know, so that we can coordinate with the other contestants. Contestants will earn points for participation in workshops, design, interview, environmental factoid, and stage presence.
A workshop will be held at the same day as Orientation, we will introduce a skills, such as plastic bag fusing. Contestants will receive participation points for attending the workshop, you or at least one person form the group will need to be in attendance. Meet at the Stella Roberts Recycle Center (5800 Magnolia St, Pearland, TX 77581) at 5:30pm, If you are not able to attend please contact Lenora Tollefson– 281-652-1659, email [email protected].
Design/ Interview/Environmental Factoid
On the day of the photo shoot, April 16, contestant will meet privately with judges. We are asking designers to meet at the Stella Roberts Recycle Center at 1pm. During that time contestants will be judged on the following:
- An introduction of individual or team members,
- Description of the process for creating your design,
- Description of how the outfit was constructed from,
- Inspiration behind creation,
- Design originality,
- Environmental factoid.
During the live Runway Show contestants will be judged on the following:
- Model’s confidence
- Design quality (i.e. does the design hold up when being worn)
The points mentioned above will be scored by a diverse team of judges that represent the fashion industry, community leaders, local government, and sustainability professionals.
Prizes will be awarded in each of the following categories:
- Most creative use of materials– Overall $150 Cash Prize
- Best overall environmental message –1st in Individuals ; $100 Cash Prize and Runner up , 1st in Groups; $100 Cash Prize and runner up
- Fan Favorite– Gift Card
The judges’ decisions and prize awards will be based on the criteria outlined in the judging section. The judge’s decisions are final.
On, the Saturday before the runway show, all contestants will need to attend the Photo shoot, if you are not able to please let Lenora Tollefson know! Photos will also be used for community events, online, and for all marketing and publications for Keep Pearland Beautiful and Fashion Show partners. The location will be at the Stella Roberts Recycle Center 5800 Magnolia St, at 1PM, Saturday, April 16, 2016.
Keep Pearland Beautiful will host their second Recycled Runway Fashion show on April 23, 2016 at the 20th Annual Earth Day Celebration! The fashion show is FREE to the audience, all family’s welcome to attend! There will be educational vendors and music!