The Keep Pearland Beautiful (KPB) Youth Environmental Council (YEC) is an organization designed to create youth environmental leaders through advisory service. A prospective high school student will complete an application and personal interview before being chosen as a member of KPB’s Youth Environmental Council. Students applying to be a part of YEC must be entering their sophomore, junior or senior year of high school from one of the 4 Pearland area high schools:
-Glenda Dawson High School
-Pearland High School
-Shadowcreek High School
-Robert Turner College and Career High School
YEC members will work with KPB staff to prepare and lead presentations for scouts, elementary, and middle school students. They may also volunteer at exhibits and outreach events or work behind the scenes with KPB event preparation. Field trips may also be arranged to teach advisory members about water surface treatment plants, recycling, litter prevention, clean water, sustainability, reforestation, and other “green” programs.
YEC Member Responsibilities:
- YEC members will have mandatory monthly meetings with a staff facilitator. These meetings function as an opportunity to learn about program development, governmental regulations, and partnership opportunities.
- YEC members are required to complete 15 hours of community service with Keep Pearland Beautiful each semester. Totaling 30 hours of community service for the 2018-2019 school year.
- YEC members will brainstorm, share ideas, and problem solve while being mentored for leadership responsibilities.
- YEC members will develop and select a service project to complete as a group.
Benefits of becoming a YEC member:
- Leadership Development
- Interpersonal Skills Development
- Learn Teamwork Skills
- Build Confidence
- Environmental Education
- Have Fun!
To become a member of the 2018-2019 YEC please apply by May 31, 2018 using this link https://bit.ly/2Eh4Q47 and have two letters of recommendation (one recommendation must come from a teacher from the 2017-2018 school year – email to [email protected]).